Dr. Darren Prokop joined UAA in 2000, reaching the rank of full Professor in 2010. Originally from Canada, Darren worked for many years in business, government, and academia.
Darren received his Ph.D. in economics from the University of Manitoba in 1999. Prior to his academic career he worked in government as an economist and in the private sector in manufacturing and inventory planning.
His goal at UAA is to help the College of Business and Public Policy achieve its mission for Alaska and beyond.
Dr. Prokop loves teaching! He's been teaching in universities since 1993. Darren makes it his personal mission to take complex topics and boil them down to common sense. This helps us to understand what’s truly going on in business systems or in the public policy-making process. He's always said, "if you can’t explain it simply, you simply can’t explain it."
Professor Prokop teaches Economics of Transportation, Principles of Microeconomics, International Logistics & Transportation Management, and Foundations of Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
Dr. Prokop introduces the CBPP International Business Minor showing UAA students all the opportunities that await them by adding this 18-credit minor to their degree studies. Alaska is an important U.S.-Asia international business gateway and this video only scratches the surface of this rich area of study, career development, and scholarship.
Dr. Prokop moderates panel discussion on Alaska's petroleum industry
Dr. Darren Prokop explains what logistics is all about.
- “Shining a Light on the ‘Black Box’ of Transportation”, Supply Chain Management Review (2018) Journal Article
- “Transportation's Tricky Balancing Act”, Supply Chain Management Review (2018) Journal Article
- “Additive Manufacturing in the Oil and Gas Industry”, The Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2017 (2017) Conference Proceeding
- “Supply Chain Threats and Emergency Management”, Canadian Transportation Research Forum (2017) Conference Proceeding
- “Global Supply Chain Security and Management: Appraising Programs, Preventing Crimes”, Elsevier (2017) Book
- “How Trump will Transform from Candidate to President”, Alaska Journal of Commerce (2016) Magazine/Trade Publication
Education & Affiliations
EducationUniversity of Manitoba, PhD in Transportation Economics; Public Finance
The University of Manitoba, MA in Economics
The University of Winnipeg, BA in Economics
AffiliationsAmerican Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS)
The Canada-America Society (CAS)
Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP)
Institute for Supply Management (ISM)
American Economic Association (AEA)
Canadian Transportation Research Forum (CTRF)