Dr. James Murphy
Professor and Rasmuson Chair of EconomicsEconomics
Dr. James Murphy is a Professor of Economics at the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA). He arrived at UAA in 2006 as the visiting Rasmuson Chair of Economics, and decided to remain at UAA as a full-time faculty member after his tenure as Chair ended in 2011. Prior to arriving at UAA, he was on the faculty at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He received his Ph.D. from the University of California Davis and studied experimental economics as a pre-doctoral fellow at the University of Arizona. As part of a university partnership to develop a new experimental economics program in China, he is also a visiting professor at Nankai University and Chairman of their new Nankai Vernon L. Smith Experimental Economics Laboratory.
Dr. Murphy’s research focuses on the use of experimental methods to address environmental policy and natural resource management issues. His recent research includes:
- fisheries management in Alaska and in Chile;
- field experiments in Western Alaska and Far East Russia to study subsistence harvest practices;
- charitable giving and philanthropy in Alaska;
- issues related to enforcement of and compliance with environmental regulations, particularly emissions trading programs;
- field experiments in Colombia to understand how rural communities manage small-scale natural resources;
- the design of water markets in California.
He is an active board member of the International Foundation for Research in Experimental Economics, and is on the editorial board for both the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, and Strategic Behavior and the Environment. He was a member of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Scientific and Statistical Committee from 2011-2013.
- “The impact of public health messaging and personal experience on the acceptance of mask wearing during the COVID-19 pandemic”, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization (2021) Journal Article
- “Do Appeals to Donor Benefits Raise More Money than Appeals to Recipient Benefits? Evidence from a Natural Field Experiment with Pick.Click.Give.”, Nature Human Behaviour (2021) Journal Article
- “Do truth-telling oaths improve honesty in crowd-working?”, Plos One (2021) Journal Article
- “Tying enforcement to prices in emissions markets: An experimental evaluation”, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management (2019) Journal Article
- “Donors Change Both Their Level and Pattern of Giving in Response to Contests among Charities”, European Economic Review (2019) Journal Article
- “Managing and Defending the Commons: Experimental Evidence from TURFs in Chile”, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management (2018) Journal Article
Education & Affiliations
EducationUniversity of California, PhD in Dept. of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, MS in Dept. of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Villanova University, BA
AffiliationsAmerican Economic Association (AEA)
Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (AERE)
Economic Science Association (ESA)