I am an applied anthropologist and have been a public policy faculty member at ISER since 2006. For over 25 years, Alaska’s coastal life has played an important role in my relationship with the state, and I started out as an anthropologist studying community effects of industrial fisheries development in the Aleutians. I have since gravitated toward other topics addressing cultural dimensions of resource management, economic development, and social policy.
Current projects include an NSF funded study examining post-secondary scholarship outcomes for Alaska Native youth and rural development in Bering Sea communities, as facilitated by the Community Development Quota program.
I have a joint appointment in the UAA Anthropology program, where I teach an introductory cultural anthropology course and an upper division course called Culture and Globalization. I also conduct program evaluations and I am currently evaluating youth development and cultural enrichment programs for the Anchorage School District.
My family and I appreciate all-Alaska pastimes such as beachcombing, fishing, skiffing, dogs, and science fiction. As a first generation Swedish American, I enjoy exploring my cultural heritage through cooking, collecting textiles, and as an avid fan of Ingmar Bergman films.
- “Annual Program Evaluation Report for Department of Defense Educational Activity Program, “Project Connect,” for Anchorage School District”, (2015) Technical Report
- “Cultural Consensus on Salmon Fisheries and Ecology in the Copper River, Alaska”, Arctic (2015) Journal Article
- “Localized Practices and Globalized Futures: Challenges for Alaska Coastal Community Youth”, Maritime Studies (2015) Journal Article
- “Annual Program Evaluation Report for Department of Defense Educational Activity Program, “Project Connect,” for Anchorage School District.”, (2014) Technical Report
- “Annual Program Evaluation Report for Department of Defense Educational Activity Program, “Project Connect,” for Anchorage School District.”, (2013) Technical Report
- “Alaska Coastal Community Youth and the Future”, Institute of Social & Economic Research (2012) Technical Report
Education & Affiliations
EducationColumbia University, PhD in Applied Anthropology
Columbia University, Other in Applied Anthropology
Columbia University Teachers College, MA in Anthropology and Education
Lehigh University, BS in Economics
AffiliationsSociety for Applied Anthropology (SFAA)
American Anthropological Association (AAA)